A different perspective of Jesus and woman at the well

We all know the story of Jesus meeting the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well is (John 4:1–42). This isn't just a story, but the beauty of the Gospel of union, peace, of Salvation. Whatever we wish to call it. The story reveals that Jesus crosses cultural, religious, and social boundaries by speaking to this Samaritan woman at noon, offering her spiritual "living water" and revealing Himself as the Messiah.

Jesus rests at Jacob’s well in Sychar, Samaria, around noon. The woman comes alone during the hottest part of the day, likely to avoid social isolation or judgment. And we all know Jesus would break this social barrier. How? He asks her for a drink of that water in the well. She looks surprised because according to what she's accustomed to, Jews and Samaritans are hostile enemies, and on top of that...men do not publicly speak with women in this context.
But Jesus shifts the focus of what's wrong and what's right, and instead tells her that the physical water found in the well provides only a  temporary relief, but the water He gives becomes a spring leading to eternal life. He then gently reveals to her that He knows she has had five husbands and is living with someone who is not her husband. He speaks the truth without condemning her.

She immediately recognizes Him as a prophet, talks about the Messiah, and Jesus explicitly states, "I the one speaking to you—I am He". She leaves her water jar, runs back to the city, and brings many townspeople to listen to Jesus." 

But you know what, this story is all good and all. And I love it. I've always gone back to it just to be once again reminded that Jesus didn't care about her past or her race, her gender, or cultural indifferences. I've always seen that as the core purpose behind the Gospel. But I started to see the intent behind Jesus meeting this woman was not only about calling her to Himself, or showing her that He accepts all people. That's the truth and all, but I also saw that Jesus was intentional by going directly to the place where she filled up her buckets with water from this well. 

This is the same for us today. Perhaps you're going back to the same well, that well can be just about anything. For some it's bad company, for others it is drugs, for some "gangsterism", for others prostitution", and for others "gambling", "pornography", "adultery" etc...but He will meet you at that well. I can guarantee you that! He'll meet you there, just to show you that the well you've been going to for years cannot satisfy what He alone can satisfy within you.  Look to Him; and see the Kingdom of God within you. It's not in some distant, faraway geographical location —  the treasure is hidden in a field. And that field is "you", and the best part....that treasure is like a spring leading to eternal life (God's very life in you). The Good news is, you get to know Him, I get to know Him, we get to know Him. And that's for free. He's not like some famous public speaker who charges by the hour — what He gives He gave freely. All you have to do is behold Him as in a mirror.

Damiam V. Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Message to the Body of Christ

The Promise of Salvation is a Person